《Song of myself》賞析:
《Song of?myself》選自於《草葉集》,是十九世紀美國作家惠特曼的浪漫主義詩集,從1855年初版的12首發展到1891-1892年臨終版的401首,記錄著詩人壹生的思想和探索歷程,也反映出他的時代和國家的面貌。詩集得名於其中這樣的壹句詩:哪裏有土,哪裏有水,哪裏就長著草。
詩集中的詩歌便像是長滿美國大地的芳草,生氣蓬勃並散發著誘人的芳香。它們是世界聞名的佳作,開創了美國民族詩歌的新時代。作者在詩歌形式上有大膽的創新,創造了“自由體”的詩歌形式,打破了傳統的詩歌格律,以斷句作為韻律的基礎,節奏自由奔放,汪洋恣肆,舒卷自如,具有壹瀉千裏的氣勢和無所不包的容量。
原文
I?celebrate?myself, and sing myself,
我贊美我自己,歌唱我自己,
And what I assume you shall assume,
我承擔的妳也將承擔,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
因為屬於我的每壹個原子也同樣屬於妳。
I loafe and invite my soul,
我閑步,還邀請了我的靈魂,
I lean and loafe at my ease observing a spearof summer grass.
我俯身悠然觀察著壹片夏日的草葉。
My tongue, every atom of my blood, form'd from this soil, this air,
我的舌,我血液的每個原子,是在這片土壤、這個空氣裏形成的,
Born here of parents born here from parents the same, and their parents the same,
是這裏的父母生下的,父母的父母也是在這裏生下的,他們的父母也壹樣,
I, now thirty-seven years old in perfect health begin,
我,現在三十七歲,壹生下身體就十分健康,
Hoping to cease not till death.
希望永遠如此,直到死去。
Creeds and schools in abeyance,
信條和學派暫時不論,
Retiring back a whilesufficed at what they are, but never forgotten,
且後退壹步,明了它們當前的情況已足,但也決不是忘記,
Iharbor for good or bad, I permit to speak at every hazard,
不論我從善從惡,我允許隨意發表意見,
Nature without check with original energy.
順乎自然,保持原始的活力。